With the market slowly turning around, chances are you may be wanting to sell your home. You’ve invested the money for upgrades and expect to get a nice return on your investment. Although you have this mindset, there are additional ways you can increase the resale value of your home that don’t require such a large investment. Taking the time to do these things will not only give you a value boost, but get your home sold pronto!
Here are a few pointers:
- Put anything you don’t need seen into your self-storage unit. You can get a lot of benefit here. Having a climate-controlled unit will guarantee that whatever you need to be stored won’t be affected by the elements and will stay clean. If you don’t have one, it’s time to reevaluate your space and determine whether or not one is needed.
- Clean! Never underestimate the value of having a clean home. This means everything. Closets, basements, attics and any other storage spaces you may have. Also take some time to clean all your ceiling fans, light fixtures and tile grout on the floor or walls. A little known fact: Homebuyers inspect the kitchen and bathroom twice as hard as the other rooms. They may even look in the refrigerator! Stage your refrigerator by giving a nice scrubbing, change any blown bulbs and putting nice bins in there will help you out. Having items for your prospective buyers to drink also helps.
- Take clutter and get rid of it. Loose papers, loose toys and any other loose items that are hanging around out of their proper places.
- Organize your visible spaces with nice baskets and decorative items.
- Paint – choose beautiful but neutral colors in high traffic areas. You would be surprised what a little paint can do.
- Change your door hardware. This can go from the front door down to the bathroom cabinets. New hardware can accentuate your painting efforts in a major way which will guarantee big results.
- Use magazines to create a design scheme with items you already have. Picture placement, furniture arrangement and ambient lighting can work wonders for creating a mood that buyers will love.
These are little things that can instantaneously give you added value. Other investments can include changing the flooring with new tiles, refinishing your existing wood floors, cleaning your carpet, adding new counter tops.
When buyers see a home, they immediately look at how they can improve the home or change things that would complement their tastes. Providing neutral backdrops will allow them to do that. Making your home a nice, clean backdrop will give you leverage when buyers are contemplating their options. Don’t forget curb appeal! Investing in some mulch, flowers and pressure cleaning your stone walkway and outside of your home can make a huge difference in how your home is presented. It’s the little things that appeal to home buyers, as they are looking to make a home for themselves.