If you’re struggling to come up with new ways to communicate key information about your self storage business to potential customers then infographics could possibly assist with that. Infographics are a visual representation of a set of data that is intended to make the information easier to consume.
Though Infographics have risen to popularity in the past couple years, they are not a new phenomenon. Historically, people have been using graphs and charts in this manner to represent data for the past 250 years. The traction that social media has gained in recent years has helped to spearhead the use of infographics. Since they are usually very interesting and shareable content, social media users gravitate to them.
Here are some steps to follow when making an infographic:
• Theme – Inforgraphics should be made around a central idea. This can be anything from FAQs to more complex topics or even just some really cool data about your self storage business. Think about what makes your self storage business stand out and then work from there.
• Data – Look for interesting data that can be grouped into the centralized theme. Seek additional data if needed. You can look to many sources for data to use. For example, an infographics about how many customers have utilized your services since you opened up your self storage business would be some interesting facts to share.
• Story – Once you have a theme and decide on what kind of data you’re going to share, you should use this to try to tell a story. Define your main points and try to tell a story with the data that has general appeal. Use time series data that is collected periodically so that it can be easily updated.
• Design - Even if you don’t have training in graphic design, building an infographic that is visually appealing isn’t too far out of reach. Use a consistent color palette and stick to the colors that represent your brand.
• Creation – Once you have found the story and have all the design elements down, it’s time to actually make your infographic. There are a number of free and paid programs that can asssit with this. Easel.ly, Piktochart, Infogr.am and, believe it or not, even Microsoft Office can all be used to make infographics. Some services provide a bit more flexibility than others. For example, in Piktochart, you can upload your own icons to use. while Infogr.am is a bit more limited in its scope.
Now that you’ve gotten a basic introduction to infographics, what will you use it to do for your self storage business? Let us know in the comments