Tuesday, August 12, 2014

YOUR PARENTS ARE COMING?!?

I like to think of myself as an open minded person.  My spouse is one as well, that is why we get along and complement each other.

We each learned the art of compromise from our parents, different styles in teaching of course, but we work things out in a very diplomatic way.  If I’m stressed about work or the kids or whatever, he calms me down and vice versa.

There are exceptions to every rule, especially when life events pop up with no advance notice.  Let me tell you how Storage Station of Wayne, helped me when one of those events reared its head on what was supposed to be a rare day off.

My husband and I had just moved to a new home in Wayne NJ, his parent’s home state, due to his job relocating.  I hadn’t realized the amount of stuff we had accumulated in our home until I had to pack it all up in to boxes.  Lots and lots of boxes!  The movers moved the boxes and delivered them and I had them piled in accordance to how they were labeled.  That is where they were on this particular day.

It was a quiet Friday morning.  I had the kids off to their new school, my husband was at work, I was in my kitchen enjoying a cup of coffee, I didn’t feel like unpacking any boxes that day, so I was thinking, life is good.  Then I heard my cell phone ringing in the other room.  I didn’t want to ruin my moment so I figured I’d let it go to voice mail.  Then it began to ring again.  I gave up and ran to answer it.

My husband says I need to delete some messages, my voice-mail is full then lets me know his parents were traveling that weekend and were going to stop and stay at our house overnight to get a fresh start for their trip the following morning.  I said, “Your parents are coming?!? When?!?” His reply was something like they’ll be there by 5ish.   I couldn’t even get a solid time of arrival out of him. So much for my quiet day off.

As the realization to the enormity of the situation rushed over me like a crashing Jersey shore wave, time seemed to stand still.  I looked around me and the boxes were everywhere.  There was bubble wrap and peanuts and paper strewn about the house.  I was in no mood to clean it up and I was all by myself.  What was I going to do?

I needed help so I reached out to a newly acquired neighbor for ideas on how to handle the situation.  She recommended I contact Storage Station of Wayne, located at 2354 Hamburg Turnpike, Wayne, NJ.  I looked online at www.storagestations.com and found their phone number, 862-377-6593, and gave them a call.  I had never used self-storage before, so I took the managers offer to take a tour and went to the facility.  The knowledgeable staff helped and guided me through what I thought of as a nightmare.

I told the manager what I had to store and he showed me a storage unit that was conveniently located on the first floor.  I wasn’t storing any furniture or clothing of any kind so I did not need a climate controlled unit.  Storage Station of Wayne also has numerous entrances on their first floor, so there were a variety of paths for me to get to my unit.  I was shown where there were carts and dollies so I didn’t have to carry my boxes to the storage unit.

When I was told we had to go to the main office to complete some paperwork, I thought it would be a lengthy process, but I was wrong. My cell phone began to ring, it was my husband, but I quickly put it on vibrate, figuring I’d get back to him later.  It took about fifteen minutes for the manager to go through the month-to-month rental agreement with me.  He explained in detail how to use my own personal pin number to use at the access key pads to enter and exit the facility if I visited during the non-office hours.  If I needed to get to my unit during their office hours, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm on Saturdays, the gates are open for quick and convenient access.  I bought my lock in the main office and, believe it or not, I needed a few more boxes that I purchased as well.

In the midst of all this I was still trying to think how I was going to transport all these boxes and I figured out that with my minivan, it would take me about 10 trips back and forth to get what I needed from my house to the unit.  The Storage Station of Wayne manager then asked me if I needed a truck to do my move and that he would be able to get me one at a discounted rate because I was using it to move my items into their facility.  That would mean I could get all the boxes and other items to the facility in one trip.  I was elated.

When I pulled up in front of my house with the moving truck, I could feel the vibration of my phone in my pocketbook and I was going to answer it, but my neighbor who referred me to Storage Station of Wayne was outside with her husband and teenaged son.  They walked over immediately and said they were here to help me move.  She said it was a better “welcome to the neighborhood” gift than a bundt cake.  It sure was!
With their help I was done in two and a half hours.  My home was free of boxes and I still had time to do some touch ups before I had to get to the grocery store, pick up my kids from school and start dinner.  I had invited my new neighbors and new best friends to come for dinner, but they gave me a rain check.
Although I believe my in-laws would not have been judgmental or even cared that the house was a mess, it was a matter of self- esteem for me to have the house and the room they were to stay in, neat and cozy.

When my husband came home from work and saw what I had accomplished and why, I could tell right away he was proud of me.  I also told him we have new best friends who will be over for dinner some time that week.  He then walked over to the couch and sat down with a bit of a worried look on his face.  I asked what the matter was and he reminded me he told me to erase my voice messages from my phone because it was full and I couldn’t be mad.  I completely forgot!  He then proceeded to tell me his parents had changed their plans and were NOT coming.

I couldn’t even be upset.  I began to laugh and he just stared at me with a puzzled look on his face.  Under normal circumstances, my ordeal that day would have had me frazzled.  Dealing with the professional staff at Storage Station of Wayne, made the experience a pleasant one.

Thank you Storage Station!

[del.icio.us] [Digg] [Facebook] [Google] [StumbleUpon] [Twitter]

YOUR PARENTS ARE COMING?!? brought to you by : Storage Station Self Storage and Storage Blog

Source: http://www.storagestations.com/blog/your-parents-are-coming/

storage units auction storage lockers storage furniture storage rental storage locker

No comments:

Post a Comment